Sunday, June 2, 2019

Zucchini (or eggplant) Lasagna (Keto)


I made eggplant and zucchini lasagna to celebrate my mother-in-law's birthday.  I loved them both.  Most preferred the zucchini, but I think it was because some people just don't prefer eggplant.  I did take a lot of time to grill the vegetables, but I am wondering how they would turn out if you just put salt on them and let them "sweat."  I chose to make these vegetarian because I have family members who are vegetarian, but you could always add meat if you wanted.  I didn't miss the meat at all.

Ingredients
Sauce
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
32oz crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
5oz fresh spinach, roughly chopped

Lasagna
4-5 zucchini thinly sliced long ways (or 2 medium eggplants)
salt
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
2 eggs
1 cup grated Parmesan
3-4 cups shredded mozzarella

Directions
Lightly salt and grill your zucchini or eggplant.  Next time I want to try just salting them and let them sit 10-20 minutes and then blot all the excess moisture off.  Or even try baking them 10 minutes.

Saute onion and garlic in the olive oil.  Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and cook 5-10 minutes until the spinach is wilted.

Mix cottage cheese, eggs, and Parmesan in a small bowl.  Layer sauce, zucchini, cottage cheese, sauce, mozzarella, more zucchini, cottage cheese, sauce, mozzarella, and repeat until all ingredients are used.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, uncovered.  Let sit 10-15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment