Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Cashew Chicken

 


I modified my other cashew chicken recipe to more our tastes since some in my family don't like bell peppers, and I made it a little simpler.  You can of course use different veggies based on what your family likes.  I served mine over quinoa/rice, but the rest of my family enjoyed it over plain white rice.  I will definitely be making this again.  I had some dried chives, so I sprinkled that on the top after in my bowl, but fresh would be delicious as well sprinkled over top at the end of cooking or on individual bowls.  I did have to double this for my family of 6, but I do have 3 teenagers.  I do cook mine without oil in a nonstick electric skillet, but if you can use 1-2 Tbsp light olive oil or coconut oil to grease your pan if you don't have a nonstick one.


Ingredients

1-2 Tbsp light olive oil (see note above if using nonstick skillet)

2 Tbsp cornstarch

3 Tbsp soy sauce (I use La Choy brand because it's gluten free)

1 Tbsp white vinegar (or apple cider works too)

1 tsp sugar

dash of ginger

1 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces

1 tsp minced garlic

1 cup cashews (I used halves and pieces)

1/2 lb carrots (about 4 medium), chopped

1 can sliced water chestnuts

chives (optional topping)


Directions

Combine cornstarch, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and ginger in small bowl and mix well.  Heat skillet up over medium high heat.  Add oil (if not nonstick skillet) to skillet and then add chicken and carrots.  Cook until chicken is no longer pink.  Add garlic, water chestnuts, and cashews to pan.  Continue cooking 2-3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and carrots are soft.  Pour sauce evenly over top and stir to coat everything and sauce thickens.  Sprinkle with green onions or put on the side for people to put on their individual bowls.  Serve over rice if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment