Friday, January 28, 2011

Spinach Tortellini en Brodo (in broth)

I got this recipe off of http://www.skinnytaste.com/ where she has some really great recipes she's already figured out the calories and fat and Weight Watchers points. I LOVE tortellini. If you've never tried it, you should! It's little cheese filled pastas that are oh so yummy! I love them way more than ravioli. You can get it in the refrigerated section or in the dry pasta section, but I get them in the freezer section for much cheaper. I loved this soup! I was out of nutmeg, so I used cinnamon again, but I definitely would recommend the nutmeg next time. I did reheat for lunch and I enjoyed it just as much. "Meatless Monday" is becoming more popular, and I happen to make this on Monday, unintentionally, but this a great, filling, meatless meal. If you are a complete vegetarian, use vegetable broth instead of chicken. This is like a very elegant chicken noodle soup (without the chicken). Great for cold days or not feeling well or anytime! :-)

Ingredients
-2 tsp butter (I used smart balance light, walmart version)
-2 stalks celery, chopped
-1 small onion, chopped
-1 large carrot, chopped
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-8 cups chicken broth (or I use boullion granules)
-3 cups water
-26oz cheese tortellini (she only used 18oz, but I love it!)
-1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
-1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
-2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
-2 Tbsp grated Parmesan


Directions
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add your chopped celery, onion, carrot, and garlic and saute until vegetables are tender. Add the chicken broth and water and bring to a boil. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, and tortellini. Reduce heat to medium and cook until tortellini is cooked al dente. Turn off the heat and add spinach and parmesan. Stir until spinach wilts and serve.

If you don't like spinach, add 2 Tbsp fresh Italian Parsley instead.

I figured 4 Weight Watcher points for 1 1/2 cups but it depends on your tortellini brand and how much you use.

1 comment: