Monday, November 16, 2009

The Duggars' Taco Soup


I actually got this recipe out of The Duggar's: 20 and Counting book. It's very similar to some of my other taco soup recipes, but this one adds hominy instead of corn along with some other small adjustments. It was a winner in our house. I particularly liked the texture of the hominy, but my "boys" weren't as fond of it. If you don't like hominy, just substitute corn. The recipe in the book calls for you to triple the recipe (considering, they have 18 children :-)). Even doing 1/3 of the recipe, we had plenty of leftovers. I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey (leave out for vegetarian option)
4oz can green chilies, chopped
1.25oz packet of taco seasoning (or try my homemade taco seasoning)
1 package dry ranch dressing mix (leave out for dairy-free)
15.5oz can hominy
3 - 14.5oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
15oz can kidney beans, undrained
2 - 15oz cans pinto beans, undrained
grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips for serving (I didn't do this for dieting's sake, but I'm sure it would be delicious!)Directions
Brown the ground turkey, season as you like (salt, pepper, onion). Stir in the chilies, seasoning mix, ranch dressing mix, hominy, tomatoes, beans, and about 1 1/2 cups of water (I found it didn't really need this with all the other added liquid, so this is optional). Bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
To serve, put crushed tortilla chips in bottom of bowl. Add soup, then top with grated cheddar cheese and sour cream. Your own tacos in a bowl!

Crockpot version: Brown your meat, add to the crockpot. Stir in the chilies, seasoning mix, ranch dressing mix, hominy, tomatoes, beans, and about 1 1/2 cups of water. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-10.

Tip: I plan to take the leftovers and bring them to a boil, add 1 cup of macaroni and 1 cup of water (I did add the extra water originally or else I might need more) and cook until the macaroni is done. This gives it a slight variation, similar to my taco mac recipe, and it makes the leftovers go further.

If you like this, try my other taco soup type recipes:
Santa Fe Soup
Original Taco Soup Recipe
Taco Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment