Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Zucchini Bread

So I had never had zucchini bread before, but I am totally addicted now.  Now wait before you freak out after hearing "zucchini."  If you've never had zucchini bread, it's not what you might think.  No one in my family likes zucchini except me.  But, everyone loves this bread!  I honestly do not even taste the zucchini in it, as zucchini.  It's very similar to a friendship bread or banana bread type of taste.  I found the original recipe as one of the top recipes on allrecipes, but I modified a few things to make it healthier.  I reduced 1 cup of oil down to 2 Tbsp and replaced the rest with unsweetened applesauce.  I tried totally eliminating the oil once, and it was still delicious, but I feel the little bit of oil helps it be more moist.  I reduced the sugar by a little bit.  I add in 2 medium zucchinis, instead of just 2 cups, which is about 3-4 cups.  I also reduced the walnuts from 1 cup down to 2/3 cup, mainly to reduce the calorie content some.  I made these in bundt pans the first few times I made it (yes, I've had to make it a few times already), but I made them into muffins last night.  I honestly don't know if I would make this in loaf pans, only because with me adding all the zucchini in, it might overflow in loaf pans.  Two of my children like this without nuts, but the rest of us like it with nuts.

Ingredients
3 eggs***
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp canola oil***
2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 medium zucchinis, grated
2/3 cup walnuts (leave out for nut free or children who don't like nuts)

Directions
Spray either 2 bundt pans (I only have one, so I used an angel food cake pan for my 2nd one) or spray muffin tins.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Beat eggs, applesauce, oil, sugar, and vanilla together in large bowl.  Mix together flour, salt, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together and then add to wet ingredients and mix well.  Stir in zucchini and nuts and combine well.  Pour into prepared pans.  If using bundt pans, bake for 1 hour.  If making muffins, bake for 22 minutes.  Makes 2 loaves or 36 muffins.

Weight Watcher points: only 2 points or 99 calories per muffin!  (without nuts)

***OR.....  I played around with the recipe and made it even lower in points, calories, and fat
sub 3 eggs for 1 egg and 3 egg whites
sub 2 Tbsp oil for 2 Tbsp melted light smart balance or Olivio
makes the muffins only 1.5 points per muffin or 90 calories per muffin! (this also cuts the fat by over half!)

No comments:

Post a Comment