Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Taco Salad

A friend of mine, Lori, gave this recipe to me a few years ago. She brought it to us as a meal and it so wonderful I had to have the recipe. It makes a lot of food! You can reduce the rice down to a smaller package, and it won't make so much, or you can just save it and have leftovers! :-) Note: I only put one black olive on the top because I don't like them, and I picked it off afterward, but it made for more color in the picture. :-) I know Mom will be happy for more color in my pictures! :-)

Ingredients

1 lb ground turkey or beef (you could actually totally leave this out if you are vegetarian)
16oz package of Vigo yellow rice
28oz can of diced tomatoes
1 can of cheddar cheese soup
1 package of taco seasoning or Homemade Taco Seasoning
1/4 cup milk
Fritos
lettuce, sour cream, tomato, salsa, black olives, cheese (whatever toppings you like on your tacos)
(I didn't take a picture of the ingredients this time since my camera's battery was being recharged, sorry)

Directions

Cook the Vigo yellow rice according to package in medium pot. Meanwhile, brown your ground meat in a large skillet and drain. Return to skillet and add tomatoes, cheese soup, taco seasoning, & milk. Stir and once rice is done cooking, add rice to your meat mixture in the skillet. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Serve over a bed of fritos & lettuce and top with salsa, cheese, sour cream, black olives, or whatever toppings you desire.

I figure this is a budget-friendly meal depending upon what toppings you like and it makes a very large amount so if you have a smaller family, you should have leftovers. I can make this for company easily.

2 comments:

  1. Colorful meal! Yeah! I wish there was an alternative to the Vigo rice as I do believe it has MSG in it. At least all, if not most, that I have checked of the Spanich yellow rice has it. =\

    ReplyDelete
  2. I obviously have never tried this, but I found someone online who made their own Spanish yellow rice with no MSG. Here is their comment: "I love Spanish yellow rice so much that I started making it more from scratch and stopped buying the little boxes of the premixed rice for Goya. I bought a big bag of parboiled rice, and for flavoring, I like the packets of Badia Sazon Tropical because it has no MSG. I also add in a little olive oil." Maybe that will help. I have tried Sazon seasoning before (by recommendation from my friend Danila from Brazil) and it's good seasoning, so maybe this is a solution for those who can't have MSG! :-)

    ReplyDelete