Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Balsamic Rosemary Chicken

I made a really healthy meal last night for my family. Actually, I made the same meal for another family about a week ago who their father is on a healthy diet, and it looked and smelled so delicious, I had to make it for us as well. I served this yummy chicken with brown rice steamed in chicken broth (a great way to cook rice to add taste without the added fat and calories) and a Mandarin Orange Salad. I will be posting the salad next. I originally got this recipe from the South Beach Diet book and modified it a little bit. The only thing I regretted was that I didn't make more because my boys (yes, my 2, 5, and 33 year old) :-) were fighting over the last pieces. :-)

Ingredients
1 lb chicken white meat (tenderloins, breast halves, or breasts cut into a few pieces is good)
1 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped, or 1/2 tsp dry (I got fresh from my garden, yeah!)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinaigretteDirections
In a small bowl, mix rosemary, garlic, pepper, salt, olive oil, and balsamic vinaigrette. Place chicken in a medium sized bowl or a sealed plastic bag and pour marinade over chicken. Put in fridge for 4-6 hours or overnight (overnight is best).
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place chicken and all of marinade into a 2 liter dish, single layering the chicken. Bake for 10 minutes, flip chicken over, and bake additional 10 minutes. Make sure chicken is cooked all the way through. If you used thick pieces, you might have to bake additional 5-10 minutes.

P.S. Mom, I will be making this whole meal while you are down next time! So yum and healthy! :-)

9/4/09: I made this tonight in my crockpot for my mom while she's here, and it turned out amazing! It was way more moist and even more delicious than in the oven. Both are very good, but if you have time to do it in the crockpot, I would recommend it. Depending how big your chicken pieces are (I had very large chicken breasts), will depend how long you cook it. It's good for 4-6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low, but less time for smaller pieces of chicken.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah!!!! It sounds and looks delicious! You spoil me.

    ReplyDelete