Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Blackberry Cobbler


My friend Kristin shared this recipe with me. She made this and put a picture up on facebook. I was so excited because I knew my mom was going to be in town in a couple of weeks, and she absolutely loves cobbler and loves blackberries. So.... I had to get the recipe and make this for her while she was here. I made it last night, and it was absolutely delicious!! It was also super easy to make. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with me, Kristin! We loved it!

Ingredients
The topping can be made 2 different ways:
Topping:
-2 cups flour
-3 tsp baking powder
-2 Tbsp sugar (see bottom for no sugar added option)
-1 tsp salt
-6 Tbsp shortening
-2/3 to 3/4 cup milk (you can use water if you need dairy-free)

Or..... the way I chose because it was easy, and I had Bisquick on hand.
-2 1/4 cups Bisquick
-2/3 cup milk (again, use water for dairy-free version)

Fruit portion:
-3/4 cup sugar (see bottom for no sugar added option)
-1 Tbsp cornstarch
-2 - 12oz bags frozen blackberries or 4-5 cups fresh (frozen are MUCH cheaper, but you can't find them at Walmart. I found frozen at Publix, and you probably can at another "regular" grocery)
-1/2 Tbsp butter or margarine
-1/2 tsp cinnamonDirections
Mix the ingredients for your topping in a medium size bowl and set aside. In a medium sauce pan, mix 3/4 cup sugar and the cornstarch. Stir in 1 cup boiling water, bring to a boil for 1 minute, then turn off heat and remove from burner. Add blackberries and mix well. Let blackberries sit in sugar water for about a minute or so. Pour blackberry mixture into a square baking dish. Dot with butter or margarine and sprinkle cinnamon over the top. Then drop in the dough by spoonfuls. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes!

The only thing I think I would have done a little different next time is to flip my topping over half way through cooking or spread my spoonfuls a little thinner. I had a little trouble with the bottom being a little doughy, so I just flipped my topping over and cooked for a few extra minutes. It was delicious!!

No sugar added: To make this a no sugar added dessert, substitute splenda for the sugar. I made this for my Pastor and his family one night, and you could hardly tell it was no sugar added. I honestly think if I hadn't made it myself, I wouldn't have been able to tell. It was really yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment