Saturday, September 12, 2009

Traditional Chicken Lo Mein

I made this chicken lo mein the other night, and it turned out really yummy. My whole family really enjoyed it a lot. My 5 year old in particular (who is usually the more finicky eater) gobbled down his whole plate full. When I was cutting up the green onions, fresh ginger, and garlic, it smelled amazing! I think the only change I might make next time is the recipe called for linguine noodles, but I've been trying to switch our pasta to whole wheat, and most of the time, in spaghetti and stuff, I like it. This recipe I could definitely taste the whole wheat, and they only had spaghetti noodles in this brand, so next time I think I'll use white linguine noodles and try it that way. Either way, it was super yummy!!! The recipe did call for mushrooms, and I don't care for them, but we love water chestnuts, so I substituted a can of them for the mushrooms. I already have a Chicken Lo Mein recipe that has peanut butter and peanuts in it, so Daniel cannot eat it, but this one was more like a traditional Chicken Lo Mein. I love both of the recipes, but they are pretty different. The other Chicken Lo Mein is sweeter and nuttier and has more veggies, so it just depends on what you are in the mood for. You could always add more veggies to this recipe too if you prefer that.

Ingredients


  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into thin strips

  • 5 teaspoons white sugar, divided

  • 3 tablespoons white vinegar (or rice wine vinegar)

  • 1/2 cup soy sauce, divided

  • 1 1/4 cups chicken broth

  • 1 cup water

  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch

  • 1 (12 ounce) package uncooked linguine pasta (I used whole wheat spaghetti)

  • 1-2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root

  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic

  • 1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced or 1 can sliced water chestnuts

  • 6 green onions, chopped
Directions


  1. In a medium, non-reactive bowl, combine the chicken with 2 1/2 teaspoons of white sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar and 1/4 cup soy sauce. Mix this together and coat the chicken well. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.

  2. While the chicken is marinating, in another medium bowl, combine the chicken broth, water, sesame oil and ground black pepper with the remaining sugar, vinegar and soy sauce. In a separate small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch with some of this mixture and slowly add to the bulk of the mixture, stirring well. Set aside. Also, cut up your veggies and set them aside.

  3. Once the chicken is done marinating, cook the linguine according to package directions, drain and set aside. While your pasta is cooking, stir fry the chicken & marinade in a very large skillet and cook on high for 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned. Transfer this and all juices to a warm plate (or wash the bowl you had it marinating in while the chicken is cooking and transfer it back into that bowl).

  4. In the same pan you just cooked your chicken in, add the ginger, garlic, green onions, and water chestnuts or mushrooms, and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the reserved sauce mixture and then the chicken & sauce. Simmer until the sauce begins to thicken, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved noodles and toss gently, coating everything well with the sauce. If you want it even thicker, cover your pan and let sit and soak in the sauce for 5-10 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Yum!!!! I made this last night for the first time, and it was delicious! My little boy Caleb could have it, which is a big deal as he is allergic to many things. He ate it up and needed more than we had put on his plate. Thank you for the recipe! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked this and it was something Caleb could eat. :-) Always makes it easier at dinner time when you can make something everyone can eat. :-) You made me want to make this recipe again soon. I haven't made it in a little while, so I will have to put it on my list for next week. :-)

    ReplyDelete