Thursday, September 10, 2009

Blue Ribbon Chili


I wanted to find a really yummy chili, so I went to the allrecipes website and found this one. Out of 556 reviews, it got 5 stars. One person even said they made it for a chili cook off and won. I had to try it. It is originally called "Debdoozie's Blue Ribbon Chili," but I modified it a little bit, so I was able to just call it "Blue Ribbon Chili." It is really yummy! :-) Update 12/13/10: I made this a few weeks ago for a chili cook off at church and placed 3rd! :-)

Ingredients


  • 2 pounds ground turkey (or beef)

  • 1/2 onion, chopped (or 1 Tbsp dried minced onion)

  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder & 1/4 tsp salt)

  • 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce (I ended up using a large can of tomato puree, so it turned out thicker) 9/16/09: I made this again last night with the tomato sauce, and it turned out way better. I wouldn't have thought it would have made much difference, but it really did. It was super yummy!!!

  • 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa (I chose mild)

  • 4 tablespoons chili seasoning mix (I used my own recipe, but it's not pictured)

  • 1 (15 ounce) can light red kidney beans, drained

  • 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained (I actually now make this with 1 can of light and one can of white kidney beans (aka cannellini beans and prefer it this way)
Directions


  1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground meat and the onion and saute for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain grease, if desired.

  2. Add the ground black pepper, garlic powder, salt, tomato puree, salsa, chili seasoning mix and kidney beans. Mix well, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least an hour.

  3. We like to serve our chili over macaroni or sea shell noodles and topped with cheddar cheese. It's the only way we ate chili growing up... in fact, it's funny because it was literally years before I knew that chili did not include noodles. I went to a buffet where they had chili, and I was asking people where the noodles were in the chili. :-)
Crockpot: Add all ingredients to crockpot. Stir, cover, and cook on high 4-6 hours or high 8-10.

No comments:

Post a Comment