Thursday, September 10, 2009

Chili Seasoning Mix


I was making chili the other night and in reading through the recipe, when I was buying ingredients, I thought it said chili powder, and I said, "oh, I have plenty of that!" Then, as I was actually making the chili, I realized it said chili seasoning mix, and I went, "oh great! I don't have that!" So I quickly went online and searched for a chili seasoning mix I could make, and this is the one I came up with. It's a combination of what I found online and modified with what I had on hand, and I think it turned out really well. It's not super spicy, but it does have a bit of a kick, so if you want it less spicy, use less or no red pepper flakes.

Ingredients
1/4 cup flour (use 2 Tbsp corn starch if you need gluten/wheat free)
4 tsp chili powder
1 Tbsp red pepper flakes (use less if you prefer less spicy)
1 Tbsp dried minced onion (or you could use onion powder)
1 Tbsp garlic powder (or you could use dried minced garlic)
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp salt
1 tsp basil
1/4 tsp black pepperDirections
Mix all of your ingredients in an air tight container. Use however much your recipe calls for. My chili recipe called 4 Tbsp chili seasoning mix which is probably equal to about a packet you would buy at the store. Store the rest away for future use.

No comments:

Post a Comment