Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cheese Potatoes



This is a family recipe that is always a huge hit at get togethers. I love these!!! You can do it the long way, get 6 medium potatoes, boil them 30 minutes, peel them, and shred them, or you can do it the shortcut way my mom discovered, and buy a 26oz frozen bag of shredded hash browns and that's it! Trust me when I tell you, these are amazing! They are one of my favorite side dishes. I could eat the whole pan full. I don't, but I could! :-)  If you are looking for a low carb version, try using cauliflower instead of potatoes.  Click on the recipe here.

Ingredients
-6 medium potatoes OR 26oz bag of frozen shredded hash browns
-3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used mild)
-1/2 stick margarine or butter
-1 - 16oz sour cream (for less fat use light)
-1/2 cup finely chopped onion (or 2 Tbsp dried minced)
-1 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp pepperDirections
Boil potatoes for 30 minutes with skins on, peel, and shred into a large bowl. OR open bag of hash browns and pour into large bowl and allow to thaw. Melt butter into medium saucepan over low-medium heat. If using fresh onion, saute it in butter until tender. Add 2 cups cheese and let melt, stirring constantly. Blend in sour cream, salt, pepper, and dried minced onion (if you choose this instead of fresh). Fold sauce into potatoes. In a 2 or 3 quart casserole dish, sprayed, spread potato mixture into pan and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly on the edges and heated through. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment