Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Creme Brulee French Toast

I found this recipe on Gina's Skinny Taste website. She lightened up another version of this Creme Brulee French Toast and I basically took the 2 recipes and made my own version. It was very yummy! I made this Christmas morning for a special breakfast. It didn't say to serve it with syrup, but I did but only a little bit because the brown sugar bottom is very sweet. I think next time I would reduce the brown sugar some if I was going to put syrup on top.
Ingredients
-1 cup brown sugar
-1/4 cup water
-10oz challah, country-style bread, or Italian bread (I used Italian because I couldn't find one of the others at the store), cut into 1" slices (watch for allergens)
-5 eggs
-1 1/2 cups milk (I used 1%) (use soy milk for dairy free)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 tsp cinnamon

Directions
In small saucepan melt brown sugar and water over medium low heat, stirring until smooth and melted, about 1 minute. Pour into a 9x13 sprayed baking dish.

Arrange bread slices in one layer in pan, squeezing them tightly to fit. In a large bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients and pour evenly over top of bread. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set casserole out to warm up a little while you preheat your oven. Bake uncovered in preheated oven 40 minutes.
Top with powdered sugar or syrup if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment