Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Sofrito Chicken Stew

I got this recipe from SkinnyTaste, a weight watcher blog. It is absolutely delicious!!! I love all the fresh ingredients and colors in this. I made it with chicken breasts instead of thighs because I don't like dark meat. I just cut each large breast into 2 or 3 pieces. I also don't buy, drink, or use alcohol at all, so I used chicken broth instead of beer, like her recipe called for. Her picture is much prettier if you want to go look because that is one of the main reasons I decided to try it. The chicken came out very tender and it really is wonderful!!! I served it over white rice like she suggested.

Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil
6 scallions or green onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, diced (I used 3 small ones)
1/3 cup red bell pepper, diced
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp salt
1 packet of sazon (find in Latin section of grocery) or 1 tsp annatto seed powder (I used sazon)
2 lbs chicken (she suggests bone in thighs or legs, but I used boneless skinless chicken breasts)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup water
more salt to taste
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
cooked white rice to serve over, optional

Directions
Heat oil in a deep sauce pan. Add green onions/scallions and garlic to pan and saute about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, peppers, cumin, 2 tsp salt, and sazon and saute another 2 minutes or so and set aside. Season chicken with salt and garlic powder, add to center of pan and allow chicken to brown on both sides. Combine chicken, sofrito, chicken broth, water, and cilantro. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook about 20-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Serve over rice.

Crockpot: Combine all ingredients (don't put in rice) in the crockpot.  Stir, cover, and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low 8-10 hours. 

WW points: 3oz piece of chicken plus stew = 3 points

No comments:

Post a Comment