Monday, November 21, 2011

Mom's Pumpkin Bread


This is my Mom's recipe for amazing pumpkin bread! I love pumpkin bread, and this is my absolute favorite recipe! Originally my mom made it with butter instead of applesauce, but she started using applesauce more recently and it comes out just as yummy and delicious but without the added calories and fat. Note: I have tried making this with baking splenda twice now and then once with half brown sugar and half splenda (same as the splenda sugar blend) yet it does not come out at all! It comes out extremely flat and dense and does not taste the same at all. I have no idea why, but trust me when I say, I could not get it to work.

Ingredients
1 1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
1/3 cup water
2 eggs (see my side note about using flax seed for egg substitute for egg-free)
1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 "rounded" tsp cinnamon
1/2 "rounded" tsp cloves
1/4 "rounded" tsp ginger
dash allspice (optional)
dash nutmeg (optional) Directions



Mix sugar, applesauce, pumpkin, water, and eggs in a large bowl. In a separate container combine flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and spices. Add all dry ingredients to the batter, blend well. Spray the bottom only of a bundt or loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees 45 minutes for a bundt pan or 60 or more minutes for a loaf pan. Bake until toothpick comes out "somewhat clean" (we like our pumpkin bread moist). Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from pan to finish cooling.


WW points: 1/8th of a loaf = 3 points

No comments:

Post a Comment