Monday, May 14, 2012

Coconut Custard Pie, no-sugar added

So I started cutting into this pie before I remembered to take a picture.  This is originally my Nana's recipe, but I lightened it up and also made it no sugar-added because I was cooking for some friends and some of them were diabetic.  I could not taste the splenda in this, and everyone absolutely loved this pie, including me!  A few of the people there said they've never had a no sugar added coconut pie and that it was delicious!

Ingredients
3 eggs - well beaten
3/4 cup splenda or sugar
1 cup shredded coconut, sweetened
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups fat free or 1% milk
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1 unbaked pie shell

Combine eggs, sugar or splenda, coconut, vanilla, and salt and beat well.  Heat milk and butter in microwave for about 2 minutes.  Slowly add to egg mixture while continuing to mix.  Pour into pie shell.  Bake 10 minutes at 425 degrees and reduce oven heat to 350 degrees and continue baking 15-20 minutes.  Bake longer if necessary.  Pie should be firm in the center but still "jiggle" a little.  I did end up having to bake mine an extra 5 minutes or so.

WW points: 6 points for 1/8th of the pie

2 comments:

  1. But doesn't sweetened coconut have sugar? Not to be picky. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it does, Mom! :-) That is why I say no sugar added, not sugar free. You buy "sugar free" apple pies in the store but apples naturally have sugar in them. If you are that sensitive to sugar, you can sub unsweetened coconut. It is more difficult to find though.

    ReplyDelete