Sunday, August 12, 2012

Low Carb Enchilada Casserole

Some of my closest friends are on Adkins, and they were coming over to dinner.  They love my chicken enchiladas, so I wanted to try to make something similar that they could enjoy on their diet. They LOVED it!  They all wanted the recipe, and my chef friend said it's the best thing he's eaten since he started Adkins.  :-)  It's only 5 1/2 net carbs per piece!  They said they didn't even feel like they were eating low carb.  :-)  I made it one night, and they requested it again when they came over a week later.  It is yummy with a lot of flavor!  I tried a little bite with no tortilla in it, and it was good.  If you aren't counting carbs, and need to do gluten/wheat free, use corn tortillas instead and you will need more of them since they are smaller.

Ingredients
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 red bell pepper
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 cans (10oz each) red mild Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce
8oz shredded Mexican Cheese (I prefer 2% reduced fat)
4 Ole Mexican Foods XTreme Wellness High Fiber Low Carb tortillas (5 net carbs a tortilla)
10oz fresh spinach, chopped
4oz green chilies
1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and shredded

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add chopped onion and bell pepper and sautee 3-5 minutes.  Add chopped spinach and saute just until wilted.  In a large bowl, mix about 8oz Enchilada sauce, 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, green chilies, and shredded chicken.  Add sauteed vegetables to the mixture and mix very well.  In a sprayed 9x13 pan, lay 2 tortillas to cover bottom of pan.  Pour 1/3 of the remaining sauce over top of tortillas and spread evenly over them to prevent drying out.  Layer half of the chicken mixture over top of this.  Place remaining tortillas over top, 1/3 of the sauce, and remaining chicken mixture.  Pour rest of sauce over top and sprinkle remaining cheese over top.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Divide into 12 pieces and each piece is only 5 1/2 net carbs.  :-)

WW Points: 3 points a piece  :-)

1 comment:

  1. Just hubs and myself in our fam. I cut the recipe in half and kept the chicken in half-breasts. Baked as directed but held back some of the cheese to top 15 min. short of final cooking time so it didn't get too brown on top. Good low-carb tex-mex fix for us. I sure hope I loose this last 5 lbs. quick. I'm SOOOOO over the sugar cold-turkey I self-imposed. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete