Sunday, August 12, 2012

Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup

This turned out really good!  I was super pleased with the results.  I want to try to see if I can use this to make a better cream of chicken substitute somehow.  I found the recipe online, but I used a small can of mushrooms instead of fresh.  They recommend 3/4 cup fresh mushrooms for half this recipe, but I think that's way too much, but if you like mushrooms, it might be fine for you.  The recipe also recommended using 8oz of condensed milk, but they come in 12oz cans, so instead of having part of a leftover can of condensed milk, I used 12oz for double the recipe, and I used regular milk for the rest.  This recipe is for 2 can of condensed milk, so just cut it in half if you want only 1 can or save half of it for later.  I love how easy and quick this is too.  No artificial junk and no gluten!

Ingredients
2 tsp onion powder
4 Tbsp corn starch
2 Tbsp canola oil
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
pinch of sugar
12oz can 2% evaporated milk
1/2 cup 1% milk
small can mushrooms, drained (I can't remember the oz, but it was the smallest they had)

Directions
Put all ingredients into a blender, starting with liquids and minus the mushrooms.  Blend until smooth.  Add mushrooms and pulse until no large chunks remain.  Pour into a 1 quart Pyrex glass measuring bowl.  Microwave on high 3 minutes, whisking well after 2 minutes.  If not thick enough, whisk well and add 30 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment