Saturday, December 1, 2012

W's chili

I love Wendy's chili, so I decided to go online and see if I could find a copycat recipe.  Well, I found this one, but I had to modify it a little with what I had on hand.  I think it is now my favorite chili that I have made.  I wouldn't say it was terribly like Wendy's chili, but I did modify it, so you can go to the link above if you want, and I hope to next time try it closer to the original recipe to see if it's more like Wendy's.  Yum!  I used hot Italian sausage because that's what I had on hand, but it was a little too spicy for my kids, even with sour cream and cheese on top of theirs.  You can do this in the crockpot as well if you like, low 4-6 hours or high 8-10.  I called this W's chili since I wouldn't call it a Wendy's copycat since I changed it so much.

Ingredients
1 lb spicy Italian sausage (I used hot but would use mild next time for my kids or just use another pound of ground turkey or beef)
1 lb ground turkey or beef (I used turkey)
29oz tomato sauce
29oz light kidney beans, undrained
29oz pinto beans, undrained
1 medium onion, diced
1 can petite diced tomatoes
2 tsp cumin powder
3 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black powder
2 tsp salt

Directions
Brown meats, breaking apart, and drain off fat.  In a large pot combine all ingredients together.  Simmer over low heat 2-3 hours, stirring occassionally.

Crockpot: Brown meat, drain, add to crockpot.  Combine rest of ingredients.  Stir and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low 8-10 hours. 

Makeover: So I made this again and used all ground turkey and did add a 7oz can diced green chilies.  It was super yummy!

Serve over pasta, with sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips, or cornbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment