Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Crockpot Rotisserie-style Chicken






-->












This is another recipe from the crockpot lady. I made it when my mom was here a few months ago, and it was delicious, so I made it again last night. My 5 year old ate seconds, and my 2 year old ate fourths. :-) Even though I don't think it quite has that rotisserie cooked flavor, the spices are very close, and it is absolutely delicious, and definitely good for those on a diet since there are no added calories. I served this with grilled zucchini & rice.





Ingredients


-1 whole chicken, skinned (4-5 pounds)
-2-3 tsp kosher salt
-1 tsp paprika
-1 tsp onion powder
-1/2 tsp dried thyme
-1 tsp Italian seasoning
-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-pinch of chili pepper (optional)
-4 whole garlic cloves (optional)
-1 yellow onion, quartered (optional)Directions

Skin the chicken and get rid of the stuff from the cavity (I get my chickens from Sam's, and they already have that stuff removed, yeah!) Apparently, skinning a chicken really grosses out a number of people, and it doesn't really bother me. If you prefer to just leave the skin on, you can, but I don't think the spices would permeate the meat as well. I usually use a jelly roll pan to do the whole thing in, and that cuts down on the mess. After skinning the chicken, throw it in your crockpot and wash your pan and yourself thoroughly.

In a small bowl, combine all of dried spices. Rub the spice mixture all over the bird, inside and out, and set the bird breast side down in the crockpot. If desired, shove 4 whole garlic cloves and a quartered onion inside the bird (I have yet to do this, actually). Now, wash your hands like crazy again! :-) I'm paranoid about salmonella.

Do not add water.

Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 7-8. The meat is done when it is fully cooked and has reached desired tenderness. The longer you cook it, the more tender the meat.









I love to use any leftovers to make my chicken enchiladas.




WW points: count this like you would any chicken pieces since spices don't add anything




No comments:

Post a Comment