Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Crockpot Applesauce Chicken

I got this recipe from the Crockpot Lady, and it was recommended to me by my friend, Wendy. I kept avoiding making it only because it didn't look very appealing, honestly, but it got good reviews, and Wendy said they liked it. So.... I finally gave it a shot this week. I actually had all of the ingredients on hand, so I had to, ya know? :-) As I was putting it together, I was thinking, am I sure about this? But... after it was cooked, and we sat down to eat it for dinner, I didn't regret it at all. It was good! My whole family liked it. It was a little spicy, so I think next time I will cut the red pepper in half, but it's something we will definitely eat again, especially considering I almost always have these ingredients on hand. A few recommendations from people on the website were to try it with pork instead of chicken, but we aren't big pork eaters around here. I know applesauce is supposed to go really well with pork though, so try it if you like pork.

Ingredients
-4 chicken breast halves or thighs (I used breasts)
-1 1/2 cups of applesauce (I used unsweetened for heart healthy but I think I would like the sweetened, regular better)
-1 Tbsp dried onion flakes, or 1 yellow onion, chopped finely (I used dried)
-1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
-1/4 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, I would use half of this next time)Directions
Put the chicken pieces into your crockpot. Mix onion, applesauce, vinegar, garlic, and spices together. Pour on top of the chicken. Cover and cook on low 5-7 hours or high 3-4 hours.

I served this with steamed white rice and green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment