Saturday, June 2, 2012

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix Clone

We love Jiffy cornbread muffin mix around here, but it's got some ingredients in it that I wanted to avoid, so I decided to make my own, and I found this recipe online and it tastes just like Jiffy.  I don't think I will ever buy Jiffy again.  It's cheaper too.  I already read that you can combine all the dry ingredients and save them in baggies for later and just add oil, egg, and milk later.  On a side note...  I have been researching how to photograph food, so I'm hoping to start improving my photos and replacing some of the old photos I don't like as much.  This was my first "new" photo I took.  This recipe also works great with Mexican Corn Cake. (just leave out egg and milk for corn muffin mix)

Ingredients
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp canola oil

1/3 cup milk
1 egg

Directions
Combine first 5 ingredients with a whisk.  Whisk in oil until smooth and all lumps are gone. 

To make corn muffins, preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Add milk and egg to corn muffin mix.  Fill sprayed muffin tins half full.  Bake 15 minutes.  Makes 6-8 muffins.  Or, pour into a small casserole dish and bake 15-20 minutes.

Egg free: I've made jiffy corn bread in the past without eggs by using my flax seed substitute seen on the right side of the page.

Calories/WW points: 4 weight watcher points, 170 calories, .9g fiber, 6g fat, 25.7g carbs, 3.7g protein

4 comments:

  1. You didn't list the milk and egg in the ingredient list. I was thinking...oh here is a recipe for the little VanNatta boys. Wrong. =[

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, I've made Jiffy Mix with flax seed, and they are good. Also, you could use a different milk instead of cow's milk or you could even try it with water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! Of course I wish it was C and M friendly (mostly M friendly as he loves bread), but it looks yummy for me. Haha. And the picture looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mom and Laura, I just updated a link on the recipe to the Mexican Corn Cake which you could use this recipe and make safely for C and M. :-)

    ReplyDelete