Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Diet Soda Cake




I found this new blog with Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes, and I am so excited about it! I have already printed out quite a few of her recipes to try. This was sort of the first one I tried. I say sort of because she suggested using 10oz of diet soda and 2 egg whites. I left out the eggs because of Daniel's allergy. Apparently this isn't a new idea either. If you want to look at her recipe along with some suggestions other users commented about, you can go to her Diet Soda Cake page. Seriously, this cake was so fluffy and moist and delicious, I would never even know it was made without the eggs and oil. I don't even like diet soda, AT ALL, but I couldn't taste even a hint of artificial sweetener in this cake. The only thing I would have changed is that she suggests putting some fat free cool whip on top, and I forgot to buy some, but next time I will. :-) I am also SUPER excited because this means I can make an egg-free cake for Daniel!!! :-)



Ingredients


12oz diet soda (I chose diet coke sweetened with splenda)


1 box cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge)


Directions


Preheat oven according to directions. Mix together the cake mix and soda. Pour into sprayed 9x13 pan. Bake according to directions on back of box. I used the minimum amount of minutes. Allow to cool 10 minutes before slicing.







WW points:
1/12th of the cake (which is the size of a lasagna piece, which is a lot) is 4 points. If you choose a different kind of cake, different points. I also bought a Betty Crocker Milk Chocolate cake and that one is only 3 points.







Variations:
Different suggestions by commenters: use cherry coke zero with devil's food cake, vanilla cake with diet sprite, chocolate cake with diet cream soda.... all different yummy possibilities.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great!!! I want to try this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom made this recently, and I thought it was delicious! I think she did chocolate cake with diet coke. It sort of tasted like a brownie to me. And it was really good with whipped cream on top. :o)

    ReplyDelete