Wednesday, December 23, 2009

White Chili


My mom sent me this recipe the other day because she made it and loved it so much she shared it with me. I really did enjoy it as well, so now I'm sharing it with you. My mom bought a lemon pepper rotisserie chicken and used the meat off of that. I just boiled some chicken breasts and shredded them, and so I think mine needed some more seasonings. Next time I think I will try adding some more of the chili seasoning to it or using a rotisserie like my mom did. Next time maybe I will make my own rotisserie chicken in a crockpot and then use the meat off of that. :-)



Ingredients

(Makes about 11 cups)

-3 to 4 cups chopped cooked chicken

-4 (16 oz) cans navy beans, drained and rinsed

-4 (4.5 oz) cans chopped green chilis

-1 (14-oz) can low -sodium fat-free chicken broth (I used 2 cups of water with 2 chicken boullion cubes)

-2 Tbs. or more Chili Seasoning Mix (recipe follows)



Chili Seasoning Mix

(Makes about 1 1/3 cups)

-3/4 cup chili powder

-2 Tbs. ground cumin

-2 Tbs. dried oregano (I used fresh from my garden)

-2 Tbs. dried minced onion

-2 Tbs. seasoned salt

-2 Tbs. sugar

-1 tsp. garlic powder



Stir together ingredients until evenly mixed. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 months. Shake or stir well before using. Directions

Stir together the five ingredients in a Dutch oven (large cooking pot): bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.

Crockpot: Add all ingredients to crockpot. Stir, cover, and cook on high 4-6 hours or high 8-10.

No comments:

Post a Comment