Monday, May 10, 2010

Spanish Rice


I wanted a recipe for Spanish rice the other night. My mother-in-law makes a very similar recipe but she used a can of diced tomatoes with chilies (which you could use, I just didn't have on hand) instead of salsa, and she used water instead of chicken broth. Anyway, I thought this one sounded good when I found it on allrecipes, and I tried it and liked it. I did modify it a little bit. It was very easy, and it complimented my enchiladas well. I did accidentally add a little too much salsa, but it still turned out fine. You could also add some chopped bell pepper or green onions to this if you desire. It's a very simple, easy, and yummy side to serve on Mexican food night. :-)

Ingredients
1-2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp chopped onion (or 1 tbsp dried minced onion)
1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup chunky salsa

Directions
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion (if using fresh) and cook for about 5 minutes or until onion is tender (if you use dried minced onion, skip this step). Mix rice into pan, stirring often. When rice just begins to turn translucent or JUST starts to brown, be careful because you can easily burn your rice if you aren't watching, stir in chicken broth and salsa. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender (I did it for 20 minutes only, and my rice was a little crunchy, so next time I will do 25 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment