Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Broccoli Rice Casserole


I was making dinner for my family and our close friend, Matt, last night, and I got in the mood to cook more than I originally planned. I was already making my creamy chicken & noodles as well as my ricotta rolls, but I wanted something more. So, I made pineapple bake and then I wanted something green. So, I started looking through what I had on hand and realized I had a bag of frozen broccoli and a can of cream of broccoli soup, and I thought I could make some sort of broccoli casserole. I started looking on the Campbell's website and found this broccoli rice casserole. I did change it some, of course. :-) You can go to the website link above if you want to see the original recipe. My husband doesn't care for stuff like this (he's not a big fan of broccoli), but Matt and I liked it a lot! It was really creamy and delicious.

Ingredients
1-2 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 (14oz) package frozen broccoli florets
1/3 cup milk
1 can cream of broccoli soup (it called for cream of chicken, and really, you could probably use any cream of soup you want or have on hand... use reduced fat if you prefer)
8oz American cheese slices (12 slices) or Velvetta cheese, cubed (use reduced fat if preferred)
1 1/2 cups cooked white rice (could use brown if you prefer), I used 3/4 cup dry
salt and pepper to tasteDirections
Heat oil in a nonstick skillet or large saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook until onion is tender. Add broccoli and cook until that is tender as well. Stir in remaining ingredients and cook until cheese is melted. Pour into sprayed 2-quart baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes to cool and thicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment