Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cream Chicken (or Turkey)


This is and has been one of my favorite dishes as long as I can remember. This is one of those dishes that I used to request for my birthday dinner growing up. Originally this was my Nana's recipe, but I think she added butter or something else to it. Then my mom made it using a little lesser fat ingredients. I never had it growing up with the peas and carrots in it, but my Nana started doing this a couple of years ago, and I enjoy it this way. Mostly because I feel like I'm eating something healthy amidst the rest of the ingredients. :-) It also adds a little color to it which is nice. You can serve this over pastry shells, or my husband prefers it over rice or you could do it even over pasta. Sometimes if I would run out of pastry shells, I would eat the leftovers over plain toast. Really, I love, love, love it over pastry shells. I do have trouble finding them sometimes at other grocery stores other than Publix, but I know they are out there elsewhere. My husband, who does not like sour cream at all, likes this dish, and even all of my kids eat it as well. It's a great dish to serve after holidays when you have leftover turkey or chicken around or just because! :-)

Ingredients
1 lb cooked and shredded chicken or turkey (I boiled breasts for this)
1 family size or 3 regular size cans cream of chicken soup (can use reduced fat if you prefer)
8oz sour cream (again, you can use light or fat free if you prefer)
8.5oz can peas and carrots, drained (optional)
Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Shells or rice or pasta or toast, whatever you want to serve it overDirections
Mix together chicken or turkey, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and peas and carrots and pour into a sprayed 2-quart baking dish. Bake at 375 for 30 to 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. If I am making pastry shells, they call for you to cook them at 400, so I just cook the cream chicken at 400 with the pastry shells. Let cool for 5-10 minutes to thicken before serving. If you are using pastry shells, make sure you pop the tops off before filling with your cream chicken. So yummy!!!

If you want to freeze this, only freeze the cream chicken part.

No comments:

Post a Comment