Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pasta Lasagna

So I made this for lunch today and it was very yummy! I found the original recipe online, but I changed it up with adding some spices and using some healthier ingredients, and I used cottage cheese instead of ricotta because I really love cottage cheese in my lasagna. I doubled the recipe not realizing it was plenty for my family without doubling it, so now I have a casserole in the freezer for later, so it worked out great! I am giving you half the recipe I made though, so it should only make one casserole and not two.

Ingredients
-1/2 large onion, finely diced
-1/2 lb lean ground turkey (use beef if you prefer or leave out for vegetarian)
-1/2 lb bow tie or penne or whatever you like pasta (I use barilla plus bow tie which was only half a 14.5oz box)
-1/2 45oz jar spaghetti sauce (I used Walmart traditional)
-1 garlic clove, minced
-1 tsp garlic powder
-1 tsp oregano
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp sugar
-1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
-1/2 tsp basil
-2 cups cottage cheese, 2% or lower fat content
-1/4 cup parmesan cheese
-1 egg (leave out for egg-free)
-8oz mozzarella, shredded (I used parm skim)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown your ground turkey, diced onion, and garlic. Add spaghetti sauce, garlic powder, oregano, salt, sugar, red pepper flakes, and basil. Simmer on low, uncovered while you prepare everything else. Boil your pasta according to package directions in salted water, drain, set aside. In a medium bowl, combine egg, cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, and half the mozzarella cheese. In a sprayed 9x13 casserole dish, layer half the pasta, half the sauce, and half the cheese mixture. Repeat. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes. Let cool some before serving.

WW points: 1/12 of the lasagna is approximately 4 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment