Sunday, August 12, 2012

Gluten Free Spinach Lasagna


I made this for my family recently and they all absolutely loved it!  I was so excited to make a lasagna recipe that was delicious and I could eat!  My 5 year old said it was his absolute favorite lasagna.  My 8 year old said it was his 2nd favorite (his favorite is Stouffer's).  :-)  My almost 2 year old ate almost 2 whole pieces.  My husband said he really liked it a lot, but maybe I should try it with meat next time.  ;-)  The only other thing I might change next time is that I cooked the pasta according to the package directions but took off 2 minutes when I probably should have took off 5 minutes because they came out a little too soft.  I got the idea for this lasagna from my pasta lasagna recipe.  If you want to add meat, brown 1/2 lb of ground meat with your onion.

Ingredients
1/2 large onion, finely diced
10 oz fresh spinach, chopped
12 Brown Rice Lasagna Noodles (I used 10oz Tinkyada brand)
26oz jar Spaghetti sauce (watch for allergens, I used Ragu traditional)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
1/2 tsp basil
2 cups cottage cheese, I used 2%
1/4 Parmesan cheese
1 egg (leave out for egg free)
8oz  part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Sautee onion until soft.  Add spaghetti sauce, spinach, garlic powder, oregano, salt, sugar, red pepper flakes, and basil.  Simmer on low while you prepare everything else.  Boil you pasta according to package directions in salted water, minus 5 minutes, drain, and put into cold water.  In a medium bowl, combine eggs, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, and half the mozzarella cheese.  In a sprayed 9x13 pan, layer 3 lasagna noodles, 1/4 of the sauce, and 1/4 of the cottage cheese mixture.  Repeat layers 3 more times.  Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.  Bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes.  Let cool 10 minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment