Thursday, May 14, 2009

Parker House Rolls (soy-free, egg-free, dairy-free, nut-free)

I made these yesterday for Daniel, and they turned out really good! I seriously would eat these if I didn't have allergies. I did figure out that if you use gelatin in place of eggs, it should be in liquid form. I had solidified mine in the fridge, so I heated it up a little in the microwave to measure it out. You should have seen me trying to put "jello" into a measuring spoon to start with. :-) This recipe is for half a batch which you see made 8 rolls, so if you want to double it, most breadmakers should be able to handle it. I have made these many times for my family without the allergy-friendly substitutes, so if you don't have allergies in your family, feel free to use "regular" items. They are really yummy and very soft!

Ingredients

-1/2 cup rice dream rice drink original (in place of milk)
-3 1/2 Tbsp unflavored gelatin (to make this, add 2 tsp or 1 packet of unflavored gelatin to 1 cup boiling water, stir until completely dissolved - 3 1/2 Tbsp of this equals 1 egg.... or you can use 1 tbsp ground flax seed and 3 tbsp water... easier, just as tasty, just different appearance)
-2 Tbsp canola oil (in place of melted butter)
-1 Tbsp honey (or sugar)
-2 1/4 cups bread flour (if making a loaf, only use 2 cups)
-1 tsp salt
-1 tsp yeast (if making a loaf, use 1 1/8 tsp)Add all these ingredients to your breadmaker and set on dough setting. You could either take it out once it's done totally mixing, before rising or leave it in the whole time. I really haven't found much of a difference in this, mostly just for my time's sake. If anyone ever tries this in their stand mixer, let me know. Take your dough out, roll into 8 equal size balls and flatten a little. Place on cookie sheet, cover with a kitchen towel, and let rise for 1-2 hours. I sometimes put them on top of my dryer in the garage for extra warmth in rising. Bake at 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment