Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hawaiian Chicken Skewers

These are sooo yummy! They take some extra time to make but they are so worth it. My husband does not care for coconut, and he hates mayonaise, but he likes these. This is one of my mother-in-law's favorite dishes along with an oriental salad I make, so I made it on her birthday a couple of weeks ago. Normally they go on skewers and you can add bell peppers and cherry tomatoes onto the skewers as well, but I just made them with pineapple and chicken this time, and due to time I just spread it all into a sprayed 9x13 dish without the skewers and baked them that way. I hope you try these! I will be posting the oriental salad recipe next that goes really well with these.

Ingredients
-1/2 cup mayonaise
-1 Tbsp Dijon-style mustard
-1 Tbsp honey
-4 cups Rice Chex cereal, crushed to make 1 2/3 cups
-1/2 cup flaked coconut
-1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
-skewers (metal or wooden)
-pineapple chunks
-cherry tomatoes (optional)
-green bell pepper chunks (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine mayonaise, mustard, and honey in a shallow dish. Combine cereal and coconut (I crush these together in my food processor) in another shallow dish or large resealable bag. Coat chicken strips, a few at a time, in mayo mixture, then in cereal mixture. Thread chicken strips onto skewers. Place cherry tomato, pineapple, and green pepper all alternating according to your desire onto each skewer. Arrange in a shallow baking dish (9x13 pan works well, but you might want to spray it). Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in centers. Makes about 25 to 30 skewers depending on how much stuff you put on them.

Chicken can be coated with mayo mixture a day ahead of time and refridgerated and then crush your cereal and coconut and put into large resealable bag to save you even more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment