Monday, May 9, 2011

Oriental Salad

This salad is so yummy! It is my mother-in-law's request for her birthday. :-) It was originally from a friend, Adriana Walker. I really like to make it with Hawaiian Chicken Skewers but it is great anytime! I've brought it to potlucks before and it gets gobbled up. Just make sure you add the dressing shortly before you serve it. Sometimes I have a hard time finding bok choy, but they do sell it at Walmart, Publix, and other grocery stores. If you like this salad, you might also check out Mandarin Orange Salad.

Ingredients
3/4 cup oil (I use canola)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar (can use apple cider or white if you don't have it)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
1 large head bok choy (white stems chopped up, discard the green leaves)
1 bunch green onions, use the whole onion minus the root
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
2 Tbsp sugar
2 pkg. Ramen noodles, crushed (discard the seasoning package)
1/3 cup sesame seeds, or less
2oz package sliced almonds, or more

Directions
Mix oil, vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce in a jar, shake and refrigerate.

Chop the bok choy and green onions and put into a large bowl.

In a fry pan set on medium heat, cook the butter, sugar, Ramen noodles, sesame seeds, and sliced almonds until light brown. Stir often or constantly. Once this starts to brown, it can burn very quickly, so watch carefully. I remove from the heat once I see it just starting to brown. Mix it with the bok choy and onions. Add the dressing prior to serving.

2 comments:

  1. This is the recipe that I got from Adriana Walker. She is a fantastic cook and I loved this recipe. Just wanted the credit to go back to her. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom! I couldn't remember who you got it from originally. I will include that in the post now. :-)

    ReplyDelete