Sunday, November 20, 2011

Green Chile Spinach Quiche

This makes 2 quiches, so I made one for me to have for lunches, and I froze the 2nd one, after I baked it and let it cool, in a gallon ziplock bag and then baked it the morning we ate it for 30 minutes at 400 degrees before serving it for a church breakfast. I should have brought 2. It got completely eaten up, and everyone rant and raved about it. It is so delicious! As I'm sitting here typing this, I'm wishing I had the ingredients to make it right now! :-) The recipe called for frozen spinach, which you could use, but spinach is one of the few ingredients I really like fresh and am not so crazy about frozen. You could easily half this recipe and make only one quiche, but you will regret you only made one. :-) Next time I make this, I want to try it with just 2 Tbsp of butter to cut down on the fat some and maybe even use a reduced fat cheese as well.

Ingredients
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
12 eggs
8oz Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
2 cups small curd cottage cheese (I used low fat)
10 fresh or frozen spinach (if frozen, thaw and drain)
2 4oz cans chopped green chilies
1/2 cup melted butter
2 deep dish unbaked pie crusts

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If you are using fresh spinach, melt your butter in a large skillet and sautee your spinach, just until wilted. Set aside. Beat your eggs on medium-high speed in a large bowl until smooth. Slowly add flour, salt, and baking powder until no lumps remain. Stir in the shredded cheese, cottage cheese, spinach, green chilies, and butter until blended. Divide between the 2 pie crusts. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 35-40 minutes until the quiches are lightly browned and the center comes out clean when you insert a knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment