Sunday, March 11, 2012

Chicken Piccata

So one of my close friends just had a baby and her favorite dish is Chicken Piccata. I researched online and found a recipe on allrecipes and then read some of the reviews and modified it some. I made a second batch for my family and I honestly wasn't sure if my family would like it or not, and we all loved it! My friend also said it was amazing and wanted the recipe. I doubled the recipe for my family, but you could easily do 1 lb of chicken for a small family.

Ingredients
2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into smaller pieces
2 eggs
3 tbsp lemon juice, divided
3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 cup butter/margarine (or dairy-free spread if needed)
6 tsp chicken boullion powder or granules
2 cups water
3 tbsp cornstarch
1-2 tbsp capers
1 tsp sugar, optional

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a small bowl, beat the eggs and 1 tbsp lemon juice. Set aside.
In a shallow bowl or dish mix together the flour, garlic powder and paprika. Pound your chicken thin and cut into desired amount of pieces. Dip the chicken in the egg, then in the seasoned flour. In a large skillet, melt butter/margarine and brown the coated chicken pieces.
Remove and put into a sprayed 9x13 pan and put into the oven. Set the timer for 30 minutes. Using a 4 cup pyrex glass or a small bowl, combine water, 2 tbsp lemon juice, capers, sugar, and cornstarch and whisk all together well. Add this into your pan with leftover drippings.  Heat to a low boil while whisking constantly and then reduce to a simmer. Once liquid thickens (about 5 minutes or so), remove chicken pan from oven, pour sauce all over chicken and return to the oven for the remaining 30 minutes.

Tip: For pounding chicken. I put a few pieces of chicken in a gallon freezer ziplock bag and seal it.  Using a rolling pin, I hit the chicken until is it flattened to my desired thickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment